Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Blog Post #3!

What is a theory? 

What is a speech theory?

How can a speech theory help explain a situation that is going on in the real world?

I am here to tell you! 

What is a Theory? 

The American Museum of Natural History defines theory as a well-substantiated explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can incorporate laws, hypotheses, and facts. The theory of gravitation, for instance, explains why apples fall from trees and astronauts float in space. Similarly, the theory of evolution explains why so many plants and animals—some very similar and some very different—exist on Earth now and in the past, as revealed by the fossil record.

So what does this definition have to do with a speech theory? 

The video above takes more of a scientific perspective when it comes to explaining theories, but even with the analogies that are mentioned, it can help us as humans to gain different perspectives and apply them to our daily lives.

In my Media Law and Literacy class we have learned about the Eight Values of Free Expression.  These are called speech theories which are used to understand the protection of speech under the First Amendment. 

A specific Value of Expression that resonates with me is Individual Self-Fulfillment. "Free speech enables individuals to express themselves and thereby create their own identity." 

According to Princeton University, self-fulfillment consists in carrying to fruition one's deepest desires or one's worthiest capacities. It is a bringing of oneself to flourishing conception, and unfolding of what is strongest or best in oneself, so that it represents the successful culmination of one's aspirations or potentialities. 

This Individual Self-Fulfillment theory allows us to have free expression and free personal growth. Our thoughts change, our opinions change, and our emotions change. 

We are human.

I feel that the Individual Self-Fulfillment theory and value is the most important expression because I am going through it right now. I am a nineteen-year-old college student, and not only have I drastically changed since high school, but I have drastically changed since freshman year.

In the last five years, I have started to pay attention to politics and the news around the world. I have seen things firsthand, on social media, and by word of mouth. 

In the last five years, I have also seen movements across the country that have had a direct impact on people.

For example; The Black Lives Matter movement which advocates for racism, police brutality, and injustice. The #MeToo Movement that advocates against sexual violence. Also including Pro-Democracy Movement, Women's Rights and Gender Equally Movement, LGBTQ+ Rights Movement, and Mental Health Awareness Movement.  




#MeToo

With diversity across the world, whether it is expressed on social media platforms, rallies, or in a speech, diversity gives others a different perspective. The viewpoint may be controversial, but if we did not have controversy in this world, there would be no such thing as an opinion or even a theory! 

It is more than just an opinion; it is people showing their identity and asserting their rights. Individual Self-Fulfillment is about defining yourself how you chose when you chose. 

"Freedom of speech thus becomes an aspect of human dignity, human agency and autonomy. "

This quote helps put into context that free expression, free speech, and freedom are all fundamental to personal growth. We cannot grow as humans if we are not making mistakes and then being corrected. 

I see Individual Self-Fulfilment more in my life now than I ever have. I see it with my roommates my teammates, and I see it with in myself. 

As a sophomore in college living in the world at this time, I can say that I am grateful for this right and value. If did not get the chance to reinvent myself from middle school to now, or even if I felt the pressure to have my life figured out for my forty-five-year-old self, then I would be the unhappiest version of me. 

So how can a speech theory help explain something going on in the real world? 

Social media is a platform that is used by anyone and everyone to explain themselves and show who they are if they chose. It gives people opportunities to state their opinion and show their viewpoint on situations around the world. 

Should the First Amendment Apply to Social Media? Yes

Individual speech theory used on social media can offer different perspectives for national movements across the world, or even a simple controversy or debate between a community.

By hearing and having an open mind, one can appreciate and fully understand what has happened through social media. 

As a Generation Z member, I know more about politics through social media than I have ever learned by watching the news. Even though I may have used sources and statements that could be controversial, having the ability to listen all sides and then form my own opinion, only benefits my knowledge in the long run. 

Individual Self-Fulfillment theory has allowed others to give me a new viewpoint on their freedom of speech on social media. This viewpoint has enlightened me on situations around the world and has made me more aware.








No comments:

Post a Comment